IARGV is doing a Food Drive to help Food Bank of the Rio Grande Valley on Saturday, July 4th. We prefer IARGV is more involved in the community service activities, hands on participation where ever we can and be visible to the local community doing something good. Food Drive is not limited to Indian community, everyone is welcome to participate. We are planning to do it in Brownsville, Harlingen, McAllen, Edinburg and Mission. This is what we do……………
- In each city of the Valley, where ever we have enough Indian population living, we select a safe neighborhood. We need a team and a leader for each neighborhood.
- We do this process keeping these in mind, it needs to be SAFE, it needs to be reasonably affordable to donate food. The area we cover by foot needs to be within two hours walk.
- We need to select a group of adults (five to ten), and select 10 to 20 children.
- Once we have set boundaries to cover, on Thursday, July 2nd we go around the neighborhood we selected and hang the H.E.B. bag to each door with following information stapled to the bag. We print half a page (standard 8 ½ x 11) with IARGV name and stating that we are collecting food for Food Bank of RGV, non perishable goods. We will come back to collect the food on Saturday, July 4th morning. If you wish to donate please keep food in this bag and leave the bag outside your front door.
- We will go back on Saturday and collect the food and leave the thank you note.
- There will be a sign-in sheet at June 12th event in Edinburg “ Revealing India”
Trust me, if we do it correct, children enjoy it and want do more of the same every year.
Just a beginning,